If Your Student is Absent
- Please call Arcata High Attendance Office the day of the absence between 7:00am -3:30 pm at 825-2401.
- Use the 24 hours attendance hotline 825-2401 during school and non-school hours and leave a message.
- Send a written note from parent/guardian with the student upon return.
- Students with unclear absences will be sent to the office 1st period to clear by calling a parent or guardian.
- Absences not cleared within three days will result in a CUT and disciplinary action will be taken.
- Your cooperation in clearing absences in a timely manner is appreciated.
- If you need to pick up your student for any reason, please call the attendance office one hour before to get an off campus. Leaving without an off campus will result in a CUT and disciplinary action will be taken.
Synergy ParentVUE System
This is a convenient way to track student attendance as well as academic progress.
It can be found at https://ca-nhu.edupoint.com/login_pxp.aspx
Questions or concerns regarding attendance can be directed to: Marie Henson, Attendance Secretary at 707-825-2401 or Mark Sahlberg, Dean of Students at 707-825-2406.
Why Attendance is Important
- Knowing your Child is safe at school.
- Attending school everyday allows a deeper understanding of classroom content/materials.
- Attending school everyday creates a healthier local community.
- Students will be prepared for college, trade schools and/or working for a local business after graduating from AHS.
- Research shows there is a significant positive relationship between student attendance and student achievement.
- AHS/District Office is paid by the state for the everyday attendance of your student.
Chronic Absenteeism -
Chronic Absenteeism is defined as missing 10 % or more of school due to any reason—excused, unexcused absences and suspensions. Research shows that missing 10% of school, approximately 18 days a year, 9 days a semester or two days a month, negatively affects a student’s academic performance. Parents and caregivers are the most important influence in a students educational success. Please encourage your student to attend everyday!
Types/Examples of Absences
Excused Absences (EA)
- Illness/Sick- a doctor’s note is required for excess of three days
- Medical Appointment with verification from the doctor/office
- Jury duty/Court appearance
- Observance of religious holiday
- Religious retreat (limit 4 hours per semester)
Unexcused Absences (UA)
These are absences which parents have approved but do not meet the state criteria for an excused absence. Teachers are not required to provide missed work/assignments to students with an unexcused absence. Students with 20 unexcused absences per semester may be given a failing grade and receive no credit for the class.
Uncleared Absences (UC)
If the parent/guardian fails to clear (phone call/note) the student’s absence within 3 days it will result in a cut for every class not attended. Teachers are not required to provide missed work/assignments for uncleared absences.
A cut is an absence from class for more than 10 minutes without a valid excuse. When a student does not attend their scheduled class or leaves campus without prior permission they will receive a cut for every period missed and disciplinary action will be taken.
Off Campus Permit/Pass
For the safety of your student, no student is permitted to leave AHS campus without first receiving an off-campus permit from the attendance office. This also includes the lunch period if the student does not return for 5th period. Students who fail to receive an Off Campus Permit/Pass prior to leaving campus will receive a cut and disciplinary action to follow.